Antivirus software is a program that helps you keep your device safe and secured by detecting, blocking, preventing and removing malwares and other malicious softwares like adware, worms and so on coming from internet or other sources.
What’ more, they can even prevent hackers from entering your device and stealing vital information that can make you vulnerable. It’s really crucial that you have an antivirus installed in your device, for without its protection your device can be contaminated within a moment of connecting to internet or flash drives.
Avast is one of the most installed antivirus softwares among the tech users. However, there might be many reasons why you would want to uninstall it. At first glance, uninstalling an app might seem like a piece of cake. You go to the control panel of your computer, select an app and click uninstall. In case of antiviruses though, you might face some troubles.
In this article, we will explain explicitly how you can remove Avast antivirus completely in Windows 10.
How to Uninstall Avast Antivirus in Windows 10
How to uninstall Avast in windows 10? This is a question users ask more often than not. For some, Avast antivirus may show resistance when they try to uninstall it. Or even if they are able to uninstall it, it leaves some residue in their system that still run in the background. Why?
Because the elements of antivirus software slip far down into your operating systems and create a great number of files, folders and registry entries in different places of your system that load at restart (I am sure you have noticed that Avast asks you to restart your pc after installation process is done).
Most often, these entries aren’t removed by the traditional un-installation process from the computer’s control panel. It takes more than that. Let’s see what’s the proper cleaning process of Avast in Windows 10
Step-1. Disable Self-defense mood:
Avast antivirus has a built-in self-defense mood to prevent malewares from uninstalling it when they try to infect your pc. Unfortunately, this often means that the users will also be prevented from uninstalling it if self-defense mode is turned on. So, if want to remove Avast, make sure this mode is turned off in your Avast. To turn off Avast self-defense-
- Open your Avast app. Click on the Menu button on top of the app window. Click
- In the Settings window click General > Troubleshooting. Under Troubleshooting, the second option on the right side says Enable Self-Defense. If it is enabled, then click on the check box beside it to disable it.
- A new window will appear asking you to confirm the attempt. Select
This will disable the Self-Defense mood so you are ready for the next step.
Step-2. Uninstall Avast:
So, the Setting change is done. It’s now time to follow the usual methods and uninstall Avast. Let’s do it.
- Go to the Start menu of your Windows 10 > type in Control Panel. Open the Control Panel
- Select Programs and Features
- Scroll down until you find Avast Antivirus Select it. You can right click your mouse to open the Uninstall option or you can select it from where it is placed above the application list. Click Uninstall.
- The Avast configuration window will pop up. There are many options to select from – Update, Repair and Modify. On the bottom of the page, you will see the Uninstall Click it.
- A box will appear for you to confirm if you really want to continue. Click
- The Avast antivirus uninstallation process will start. It might take a while to complete the entire process.
- Once this process is done, a new window will appear asking you to restart the computer. It is recommended that you restart it right then. Restarting the computer generally makes the uninstallation process complete by removing the data of Avast from your system. Click Restart Computer.
Step-3. Use Avast Utility Tool:
As we have said in the beginning that even if you succeed to uninstall Avast antivirus, there might still be some files of it remaining somewhere in your pc. To find and delete them manually is really tiresome. Plus, it can cause registry error. That’s where avastclear can help.
avastclear is a utility tool designed by the Avast developers exclusively for the purpose of removing Avast antivirus from its user’s computer. You can download it from the avast website for free. Just follow the steps.
- Open your browser. Search avast removal tool and go to avast website. Download the exe file.
- Run the file from the folder you have downloaded it in.
- You will see a prompt if you want to run the tool. Click Yes.
- Another prompt will come asking you to run the avastclear tool in safe mood. The safe mood will be activated with rebooting your computer. If you want to run it in safe mood, click Yes; if not, click But it is recommended that you use the safe mood. Your pc will reboot.
- After the pc has rebooted, the avastclear will run automatically. avastclear confirmation window will appear. By clicking the drop down arrow of the last option you can select which version of Avast you want uninstall. Choose your desired one. Click Uninstall on bottom of the same page.
- The uninstallation process will proceed. After it is finished, it will again ask you to restart your computer. Restarting will confirm that Avast is cleared from your system entirely.
You can see that your desktop is completely free of Avast antivirus. Go ahead and check your Control Panel or Apps if Avast is gone from there if you like.
Related Post: How To Uninstall Eclipse On Windows 10
Essential Post: How To Extend C Drive in Windows 10/8?
You might be thinking what to do when you want to reinstall Avast instead of uninstalling it. It happens that you can’t reinstall it because of some broken files. The process is the same. However, if you have uninstalled Avast for any reason, don’t leave your pc without protection. It may cause malicious threat to attack your computer.