Ever wondered the technology services, for example- the apps you are using to talk to your family and friends or to complete an assignment, where they came from? How you are able to surfing through websites for information or just for entertainment?
The applications you use or the websites you browse through are built upon some programming infrastructure. Creating applications or web services is impossible without these programming infrastructures; .NET Framework is one of them. Windows users may have it pre-installed in their OS.
Chances are you are reading this article because you need to uninstall .NET Framework from your Windows 10. If, for some reason, you need to uninstall .NET Framework, Microsoft strictly forbids you to do so manually. Then how to uninstall .NET Framework Windows 10? Don’t worry. Today we will have an explicit discussion on how to uninstall .NET Framework on Windows 10. Let’s begin.
What is .NET Framework?
.NET Framework is a software programming infrastructure for building, running and developing applications and services on Windows operating system. It is pronounced as “dot net”. Microsoft has developed a set of tools and technologies to build applications for various operating systems, such as Linux, Windows, macOS, iOS, Android and many more. This set of technologies is known as .NET and .NET Framework is a part of this .NET platform.
According to Microsoft, .NET Framework is the actual utilization of .NET that supports running applications, websites, and services on Windows. There are two key elements of .NET Framework-
- Common Language Runtime (CLR)
- Framework Class Library (FCL)
The Common Language Runtime (CLR) is the virtual machine that administers the execution of .NET Framework applications. Amenities such as thread management, security, garbage collection, exception handling and so on are provided by CLR.
The Framework Class Library (FCL) delivers APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) and types for common functions. It provides APIs for reading and writing, drawing, graphics rendering, database connection and so on. The type systems for strings, dates and numbers are also supplied by FCL.
In general, .NET Framework is an environment that is used to create applications and run them on Windows. If you are using a Windows operating system, chances are it is already installed in your computer; especially on Windows 10. Besides, applications that use .NET Framework may also install their precise version of framework while set up.
How to Uninstall .NET Framework Windows 10?
.NET Framework is an element of Windows operating system and therefore, cannot be independently uninstalled. You have to do it from Windows Programs and features option. Before you proceed with the uninstallation process, make sure all the other opened programs are closed. To uninstall .NET framework Windows 10, follow the steps below-
- Go to your Windows 10 Start menu > type in programs and features. Click on Programs and features from the search results.
- This will open up the Programs and features window of the Control Panel. From the left menu bar, choose Turn Windows features on or off.
- The Windows Features window will show up. It may take a while for the list of all features to appear. Wait patiently.
- After the list of features has loaded, look for the .NET frameworks you have. In this case, there are .NET Framework 3.5 (includes >NET 2.0 and 3.0) and .NET Framework 4.6 Advanced Services.
If you want to uninstall only the older version, uncheck only the box beside it. If you want to uninstall .NET Framework totally from your OS, uncheck the boxes beside both of them if they are checked. Click on OK on the bottom.
- The .NET Frameworks will start uninstalling. It will take a moment to uninstall and applying the changes. Be patient through it.
- When the uninstallation is done, you will get a confirmation that Windows completed the requested changes. Hit close.
- Now you will need to restart your computer. Only after restarting the pc will the changes take effect and the .NET Framework will be uninstalled.
Is It Safe to uninstall .NET Framework?
Some say that you don’t really need .NET Framework in your computer. However, most do not recommend uninstalling it. Using applications and browsing websites that run on .NET Framework will not be possible if you uninstall it. Moreover, if you already have applications that are executed by .NET Framework, uninstalling it may cause those applications to break.
Others Related Post:
1. What is .NET Framework?
Answer: .NET Framework is a software environment that is used to create and run applications on Windows. In addition to that, .NET supports running applications, websites, and services on Windows.
2. How can I uninstall .NET Framework Windows 10?
- Open the Start menu > search and click Programs and Features
- From the left bar, choose Turn Windows features on or off.
- Find the .NET frameworks from Windows Features To uninstall only the older version, uncheck only the box beside it. To uninstall .NET Framework totally from your OS, uncheck the boxes beside both of them. Click OK.
- After the installation is done, restart the pc and installation will take effct.
3. Why do I need .NET Framework in my pc?
Answer: You need .NET Framework if you want to run apps and browse websites that are built using .NET Framework. It may be pre-installed in your Windows. If not, you can download it for free and install it.
4. Should I uninstall .NET Framework?
Answer: No, you should not uninstall .NET Framework unless you really have to. Uninstalling it may cause .NET Framework executed applications to break. Also, you would not be able to go to websites that runs on .NET Framework.
I hope this article removes all your confusions about how to uninstall .NET Framework Windows 10. Do not perform this uninstallation task unless you have advanced knowledge on your computer’s operating system though. You may end up uninstalling the updated version when you only want to uninstall the outdated one. Unless you really need to change, settings are best left at their default state.