When you have used your computer for a long time, it gets loaded with more and more data. In time, your C drive runs out of space. The C drive logo bar turns red and you start getting low disk space warnings. The question pops up in your mind, “how can I increase C drive space in my Windows 10?”
Low disk space is a common predicament that happens to almost all computer users around the world. Ordinarily, it’s the C drive low space occurrence that gives trouble the most. In any other drive, you can resolve this issue by deleting data according to your choice or need. However, deleting data by your own choice in C drive is not possible.
To help you out with your dilemma, we will be addressing the how to increase C drive space in Windows 10 issue and related matters explicitly.
What is C Drive Partition?
C drive or system drive is the partition where your operating system, such as- Windows 10, is installed. It is also the place where the applications of your computer are installed unless you choose any other drive for them when possible.
It is always recommended to create more than one partition to back up your data. In this way, your data will stay unharmed in other drives if one drive is damaged: unless, of course, entire hard disk failure of your pc occurs.
Since C drive is the OS and application installation drive, it is necessary to allot enough space to it. Unfortunately, when you first buy your computer the space allocated to the C drive in the OS originally set up by the manufacturer is not much. Therefore, after a while your C drive becomes full when you fail to administer your space properly.
What does Happen When C Drive is Full?
As we said before, your operating system runs on C drive. In addition to that, applications that are installed in it create files and register themselves to operate in this partition as well. Hence, if C drive runs out of space, then you might face several problems while operating. Some common problem you might face are-
- The OS will not work properly.
- Your computer will slow down and freeze frequently.
- The applications will run slowly and stop responding often.
- System upgrade and new application installation will be impossible due to low space.
How can I Increase C Drive Space in Windows 10?
“Can I increase C drive space without formatting any partition or giving a new set up?” is one of most frequently asked questions by the users. Formatting a partition means losing your data. You don’t want to do that, which is reasonable. You don’t want to go for a whole new set up either, which is quite a hassle and time consuming.
Fortunately for you, your Windows has a built-in application that allows you to extend the space in your C drive without formatting or losing any data. It is called Disk Management. With this option, you have to shrink volume from another partition in order to allocate that volume to the system partition.
Point to be noted, the partition you will be shrinking volume from must be the adjacent partition to the C drive. You cannot add volume to the C drive from another drive that is not the very next drive to it. Before you proceed, remember to back up the data from the adjacent drive to another drive so that you don’t lose any data. This is because this drive is going to be formatted.
In case you have only two partitions, we will show you how to create a third partition to back up your data. So, if you want to know how to increase C drive space in Windows 10 using Disk Management, then follow the steps below:
- Go to the Search Write Disk Management.
- The result you will be either Disk Management or Create and format hard disk partitions. Open it.
- The Disk Management window will pop up. You can see there are only two partitions- C and D.
- Right click on the D drive. Select Shrink Volume.
- Another pop up will appear. Write the amount of volume you want to shrink in the box beside Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB. Note that you have to put the amount in megabytes. For example- if you want to shrink 10 GB, then you have to write 10240 MB (1 GB = 1024 MB). So just calculate the amount before writing. Now click Shrink box on the bottom.
- You can see the 10 GB unallocated space beside the D drive.
- Right click on it. Select New Simple Volume.
- The New Simple Volume Wizard will pop up. Click on the Next box in all the wizards and finally click Don’t hesitate to click next throughout the process. Everything should be in their default value.
- You can see that there has created a new E drive consisting of 10 GB. You can check in your Windows 10 file folder if E drive is there.
- Now make sure you back up all your data from D drive to E drive.
- Go back to the Disk Management Right click on the D drive. Select Delete Volume.
- Click on Yes in the next pop up.
- Now you will find that the D drive has become unallocated space.
- Now right click on the C drive and select Extend Volume.
- Click on Next in all pop ups of Extend Volume Wizard. Lastly click
- At last you will find that the space of your C drive has been increased.
- Go to the file folder. If you can’t see the new extended volume in your C drive, don’t panic. Just refresh the file folder and you will see the increased space.
How can I manage My C Drive Better?
If you just follow few rules along the way, you can avoid facing low space problem in your C drive. We will suggest a few-
1.Although most applications are installed in the C drive automatically, some allows you to choose the installation drive. In that case, try to install those applications in another drive (you will find the option when you will start the installation process). This will reduce a lot of pressure from the C drive.
2.As you keep using your pc, lots of junks and cache are stored in the system drive. Recycle Bin is one of the places where the files you didn’t delete permanently are stored. Clean up the Recycle Bin and the junks regularly. This will make your system much more refreshed.
3.When you set up your OS anew, lots of unnecessary system files are stockpiled in the C drive. You can use the Disk Cleanup feature of Windows 10 to clean these system junks from your pc. This will empty a good amount of necessary space of the C drive.
4.Last but not the least; try not to install applications you can make do without. Or if you have them installed, uninstall them. This will really boost up the performance of your pc.
C drive is the most important partition of the computer as the OS operates from this place. So it is vital to keep this drive sound and healthy. The good health of C drive ensures your pc performs smooth and fast. We have discussed how to increase C drive space and keep it clean and clear in Windows 10. There are some third party software that you can use for your purpose. However, it is best to utilize Windows 10 features if possible. Choose what serves your purpose best.